Admin
29 AGE
482POSTS

Author: Hugh Howey
Title: Wool
Rating: 5/5
Genre/Tags: Sci-Fi, Dystopia
Review:

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside. Source: goodreads

I loved this book way more than I thought I would. The writing was beautifully detailed without being bloated or fluffy. I started this book without knowing what to expect or how the story would unfold. I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of it (no pun intended). About halfway through this book, I drove myself out to Barnes & Noble and immediately picked up volumes II and III so I wouldn't kill myself with the wait between books. It was that good.

It was delightful to unravel the truth in the story, and I often found myself devouring it. I did slow down towards the end, most likely because I didn't want to finish it too soon. I felt that I might have been reading it too fast and missing important details and interesting descriptions.

Bernard was an easy character to dislike, almost straight from the beginning. Jules was definitely my favorite. I loved that she was in Mechanical, working her butt off to get where she was today. I wish I could have read more about some of the specific levels of the silo - I was definitely interested in learning more about the inner workings of everyday life.

Wool was an unexpectedly delicious book, and one that I'll most likely recommend to my sci-fi loving friends. I've already started volume II, Shift, which will go deeper into the history of this world and how this all came to pass.

If you have read this book and have thoughts on it, feel free to post a comment! I'd love to chat about this book.
 PM  Email 
^
papergoose
 Posted: Jun 22 2016, 02:10 PM
Advertising Moderators
22 AGE
159POSTS

I've been debating whether to read this or not but I think your review finally pushed me fully into "yes" territory. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif
 PM 
^
Amanda
 Posted: Jun 22 2016, 02:40 PM
Admin
29 AGE
482POSTS

QUOTE (papergoose @ Jun 22 2016, 01:10 PM)
I've been debating whether to read this or not but I think your review finally pushed me fully into "yes" territory. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

I was really surprised by how quickly it grabbed me. I'd definitely be interested in hear what you think of it!
 PM  Email 
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options   Add Reply  New Topic 

LISTINGS

Candyland Couture
AFFILIATES

a resource community Revaliir

SKINNED BY MERC of ATF

cfs script by black from code

poplight script by starious