merc

Add Reply  New Topic  New Poll 

Author Signings
Amanda
 Posted: Aug 28 2015, 09:20 PM
Admin
29 AGE
482POSTS

Have you ever been to one? How many have you been to? Any favorite signings that you've been to?

I've only been to one signing, and that was for Ocean At The End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. It was his last book signing tour and I'm so happy that I decided to go. I almost didn't, as I would've had to go alone. But in the end, I decided that I would have deeply regretted not seeing Mr. Gaiman talk about his new book and getting the chance to meet him. It was a wonderful experience.
 PM  Email 
^
fitzgomery.
 Posted: Sep 6 2015, 08:32 PM
Members
25 AGE
5POSTS

I got to meet/have Lone Wolf signed by Jodi Picoult a few years ago when she was touring for it; this past fall I got to hear Stephen King speak, and then in late spring of this year I got to hear Chuck Palahniuk speak and was blown away more and more by each of them.

Palahniuk's was insane -- he threw out candy, had beach balls with glow-sticks inside of them that we all had to write our names on and decorate for prizes later in the night, and he even threw out autographed "body parts" to people in the crowd. Absolutely amazing night.
 PM  Email  Web  AIM 
^
Amanda
 Posted: Sep 21 2015, 04:46 PM
Admin
29 AGE
482POSTS

QUOTE (fitzgomery. @ Sep 7 2015, 01:32 AM)
this past fall I got to hear Stephen King speak

Whoa whoa whoa... wHAT?! I am so utterly jealous!! He is one of my idols! How did you manage that? I know he doesn't like doing signings, but I've never heard him speak before. That's awesome.

And the rest sounds amazing! What fun signings. ^__^
 PM  Email 
^
Mel
 Posted: Nov 7 2015, 11:34 PM
Members
28 AGE
40POSTS

I always cringe when the topic of author signings come up because it brings up a memory of when I was in grade school. A woman named J.K. Rowling was coming to a bookstore in my hometown and a bunch of my friends were going to see her. Being the introvert that I was, I decided to stay home because I thought it would be boring. This all happened before Harry Potter really took off, but I still kick myself about it all the time.

On a happier note, I have signed books by Megan Whalen Turner, Michael J. Sullivan, Douglas Hulick, and Brandon Sanderson. It's not the biggest collection but I'm working on it!
 PM 
^
Taryn
 Posted: Nov 9 2015, 05:31 PM
Members
N/A AGE
8POSTS

I've met John Green, back when vlogbrothers was just taking off for real and none of his movies were being turned into books. It was really good, but I'm no longer a fan of his more than I enjoy his books for what they are but not nearly as much as I used to.
 PM 
^
Thalia
 Posted: Dec 27 2015, 04:51 PM
Members
N/A AGE
13POSTS

I've met Jamie McGuire before. I'd read about her and she was holding a local event a few years back so I went and got a signed book for a friend as a birthday gift and I got one for myself as well. Not my cup of tea but it was still neat. I met one of my favorite authors, R. A. Salvatore, last year and he was fantastic and so nice and signed two of my books and I still get excited thinking about it. I have a couple of other signed books as well. I won a signed Jill Williamson book and accidentally bought a signed copy of Jim Wickwire's book at a library sale.

So jealous of your signed books from Megan Whalen Turner, Mel. I'd love to get a Patrick Rothfuss book signed. Or Brandon Sanderson.
 PM  Email 
^
kherezae
 Posted: Jun 30 2016, 09:05 PM
Members
29 AGE
13POSTS

I've been to two of Brandon Sanderson's signings! He signed my Writers of the Future honorable mention certificate. He's... awesome. (There are so many reasons he's my favorite author, and one of them is how he interacts with fans.)

I've also been to a Suzanne Collins book signing, and.... wow, what a drastic difference. I walked away from her signing deciding that I like her work, but not her way of dealing with fans. At all.

Mel, I'd kick myself too in that situation! Eeesh. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif
 PM  Web 
^
SithLordOfSnark
 Posted: Jul 28 2016, 06:17 PM
Members
N/A AGE
5POSTS

I got to meet Anne Rice and get "The Vampire Chronicles" signed, many years ago.
 PM  Email 
^
Brock
 Posted: Jul 30 2016, 07:26 AM
Members
N/A AGE
96POSTS

I went to Winter Jam (a Christian music concert), and when I signed up to sponsor a child, I also received a copy of She is Mine by Stephanie Fast (which I reviewed here.) The author had spoken during the event, and she was there to sign books. I think I was the last one she signed for because she was leaving when I finally got to her side of the table, and one of the workers had to point me out to her. Haha! Thanks, Mr. Worker!

Amusing note: I had another non-fiction book about North Korea that my mom and grandmother both borrowed before me, so I was determined to read this one first. It took me months to get to, however, and just before I was going to read it, my mom picked it up. When she saw the signature in it, though, she put it down thinking it was something precious that I wouldn't want anyone reading. I reminded her that I was going to read it first but that was it, and now she's reading it. The signature saved my place in the reading line! http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif
 PM 
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options   Add Reply  New Topic  New Poll 

LISTINGS

Candyland Couture
AFFILIATES

a resource community Revaliir

SKINNED BY MERC of ATF

cfs script by black from code

poplight script by starious